DITY Move and PPM Calculator UPDATED FOR 2018

Calculate allowances & expenses for your PCS

If you are shopping around for moving companies for your DITY get a FREE QUOTE for your long distance move from U-Pack here. It’s fast and easy – no obligations. I have several military friends who used this company and recommend them!
– Jake

Skip straight to your allowances HERE


DITYMoveCalculator.net was created to help military members and their dependents calculate the allowances and expenses of a CONUS-CONUS PCS move when driving from base to base. This site is not endorsed by the government or military. If you have any suggestions on how I can make this calculator better, comment below or email me at jake@ditymovecalculator.net!

174 thoughts on “DITY Move and PPM Calculator UPDATED FOR 2018”

  1. I need some good advice, I am retiring in 11 months. Planning to move to Savannah from Fort Lewis, Wa. Thinking about a full dity since id never done one in my military career. Is is worth doing it as a Ssg married with 2 kids and what could be beneficial for me and my family in terms of financial…Thanks

    1. First off, congrats on the retirement! If you are a DIY type of guy and don’t mind the extra stress from moving all your own stuff I would say do it. If you put a guess of how much weight you will be moving into the calculator you can see how much money you should get approximately. Keep in mind the amount of time you spend packing and the money spent on a Uhaul, boxes, etc.

  2. I have a question. I live in my travel trailer and want to move it and my two truck when I PCS around 1700 hundred miles. I can pull my trailer but I am trying to figure out how exactly that works and how to calculate. I will be by myself. In your opinion what would be the best way to move it? I am not sure what my travel trailer is considered? Or how anything is taken into account. Thank you.

      1. would it make a difference if it is my residence? I do live in it. So I’m not sure if that matters. But I do feel like that adds a lot to how complex it is. thank you for the response

  3. My husband retired and we moved 1000 pounds from NC to Montana 2400 miles. We have a son and my estimate is around $3000 and we only received 939$. For 7 travel days that seems very very low. Damn it. I estimated the gas alone and it should be $400. So we were supposed to do hotels and eat and all that for 3 of us on $500???

    1. JM,
      Did you ever receive another payment? Usually you will get two payments, one for your HHG and one for your per diem/DLA/etc. If all you received was $939 for 2400 miles I would definitely talk to your travel management office!

    2. There are two forms of payments for moving, one from moving your family (vehicles, miles, food) and one for your HHG. The DD 1351 will cover your vehicles (up to two vehicles), miles, and per diem for family members. When you file in DTS through move.mil that will cover the weight of your HHGs that you shipped. If both of the claims yielded 939 I believe you did something incorrect. I’m assuming you haven’t filled out your DD 1351 and emailed or turned it in to a local finance office.

  4. If we use a POD for our DITY, can we still pack stuff in our two POV’s & get weight tickets for all three vehicles (the POD & the two POV’s)? Thanks for the help!

    1. I don’t think you can get weight tickets for a POD…you’ll have to pay for those out of pocket and hope the allowances and reimbursement from any HHG you move in your car cover the costs.

    2. I believe you can. Talk to your TMO office. If I remember correctly, they mentioned that you can pack stuff in both cars, get the weights (empty and full) and use it for your travel voucher and get mileage for both. Again, talk to your TMO office for more accurate info.

      Also, here is the PODS info. Good luck!


    3. Yes you can. The PODS rep will add it to your order if you tell them you are military. We have used PODS in the past for a dity move cross country and I just got a quote from them for our PCS coming up this fall.

  5. Has it been determined if using PODs or a company like PackRat make it possible to turn a profit at all when using them for a dity/ppm move?

    1. I don’t have any experience with these myself but I’d love to hear others opinions on this!

  6. Is it possible to do a full PPM from Germany to DC? How do customs issues enter into the planning process? We want to exceed our weight allowance and we are looking at a PPM as one of our options.

    1. AK, I’m not sure about OCONUS moves. I really only designed that calculator for CONUS moves as I have no experience with moving overseas. Sorry!

  7. We just got reimbursed for a full DITY from northern Cali to Georgia (2197 miles with 4 dependents). We had 2 deposits- I am assuming one from the PPM (~5350) and the other is DLA, MALT and per diem (~3300). The PPM is about what I was expecting but the other deposit was almost $2k less than I was expecting given this calculator. Is there a third reimbursement or should I contact someone? This website has been extremely helpful in planning this move. Thank you 🙂

    1. Maybe the 5350 is for the DLA, MALT, and per diem and your $3300 was for the PPM? The PPM is the payment that varies pretty widely depending on the rate paid at the current time and a bunch of other factors. How many pounds did you move?

  8. Thank you for such a wonderful resource! We’re doing a partial DITY and are considering towing a vehicle. If we do, does the weight in the towed vehicle count towards our partial DITY? Also, how soon do I have to check-in to my base after I arrive. I’m going on a 10 day PTDY 2 days after I arrive at my gaining base and don’t plan on officially reporting until I return. Will that be an issue for reimbursement? Thanks again!

    1. site manager – could you adjust my name to just my initials, please. I didn’t realize it would show my full name. Just for privacy reasons. Thank you.

    2. The weight of a towed car does not count towards HHG weight unfortunately. After arriving to your base, you should check in ASAP. You will need your new commander’s sign off before taking PTDY so make sure you report before that!

  9. I’m a little confused on the taxes aspect of this and how expenses are accounted for. I used U-Pack and had about $3,600 of moving expenses just for the truck, plus about $500 in other moving expenses. When I run the calculator without expenses, I’m projected to receive $8000 on the low end, which would correspond to about $4000 in profit (though the calculator says $8000 profit since I didn’t enter expenses). When I include this expense in the calculator, my projected allowance drops to $5000 on the low end, so profit drops to only $1000. Am I missing something here that’s seriously limiting how much reimbursement I’ll get? Thanks.

    1. Sam,
      Thank you so much for bringing this to my attention. There was an error in how the expenses were calculated. I fixed it. See if it makes more sense now. Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience…you probably saved a lot of people a lot of confusion!

    2. I am doing a full PPM move from WA to GA and am using a Uhaul to tow my car behind it. I understand I weigh my vehicle empty and full at both locations. Since I am towing the vehicle is it considered part of the full weight?

      1. I accidently replied to another post. Sorry the computer I am using is in low bandwidth mode and I cant see the link to make a new post.

  10. PCSing from LA to Jacksonville, FL, thinking about doing a full duty. I’m authorized 14500 lbs traveling with dependents . I was quoted by an outside company to move me at $9250 total. Trying to discern if this will be profitable for my family. I have 2 vehicles to move also, one which I am driving. I will use all 14500 lbs, what is your recommendation?

    1. Depends, if you get DLA you should at least break even, worst case I’d say. Or you could have the military move most of your stuff, and take a few hundred pounds in your car. Then you’d make money from the stuff you move yourself plus per diem, DLA, MALT, and your pretty much guaranteed not to lose money.

  11. My husband just went to the TMO office and estimated our HHG to be 6,000lbs. We are moving for the first time to PDS. We live in Ohio and are moving to Jacksonville NC to Camp Lejeune. That’s around 650 miles. They gave us a low end estimate. It’s roughly $1,700 to TMO office said. Is this normally a low end estimate move? or will we be reimbursed more if we have more weight than estimated?

    1. It all depends on what your weight tickets say when you submit them. It does seem on the low end but your kind of at the mercy of whatever tmo calculates

  12. The best part of the move for me was 3 months after I submitted my claim I finally was told the checks in the mail. Then I realized the government taxes your PPM claim by %25. That would have been nice to know.

  13. One question, why do I get so much more estimate when I use move.mil and calculate with the same weight (I left all expenses empty both times) should I rather rely on your calculator?
    I don’t want to rely on move.mil and then get only a fraction of it and actually have financial loss..
    do you know if move.mil calculates dla/ Per Diem and malt in it? From what I see they don’t. Thank you

    1. Kat,
      I don’t think they take into account DLA or per diem on that calculator. It may or may not take into account MALT. It would be nice if they actually said which allowances it included…If I had to guess I would say they use a HHG reimbursement estimate closer to $0.80 per lb, which is similar to the high end estimate on the calculator here.

    2. Kat,
      I don’t think they take into account DLA on their calculator. It’s hard to tell though. It looks like they use an HHG reimbursement closer to my high-end estimate here.

  14. Hey I’m curious. I am PCSing with a tdy enroute. Do I still get paid separate for milage and perdiem to my TDY enroute or does the DITY incentive to my PCS soak that up?

  15. I moved from Bliss, TX to Lewis, WA…it was a 1,714 PPM (5 days) w my spouse, and had a pay advancement of $1394. Net weight of my move was 2260lbs (full weight – empty weight = net weight). Paid for rental trailer $870, and gas receipts for $466. Did not use lodging and only ran the GTCC for $50 food since we had stopped at home in Cali, on our way. I was wondering, how much could i actually make from the move? It seems like it’ll only be around 2500-3000? Is this correct? Appreciate your help. Thank you.

    1. Brandon,
      Your estimate sounds about right. Let me know what you end up getting to get this calculator more accurate!

  16. What happens if I weighed the empty u haul with the trailer and my car on it? Then weighed the full u haul with the trailer and car on it? Should I await getting to my destination to weight just the full U haul? Then the empty one?

    1. John,
      I don’t think it matters if you have the car on or off, as long as your consistent when getting both tickets. All that really matters is the difference.

  17. So when I go to the site to estimate how much weight we qualify for, it separates it out into household goods and pro-gear. Do I have to have these separated when I am weighing the truck or is it just all combined into one weight? For example, we are allowed 9,000 in household and 2,000 in pro gear. So do we just need 11,000 or less?

    1. Elizabeth,
      I believe you are correct. The JTR says:
      “The weight of PBP&E is not included in the maximum authorized HHG weight allowance.
      The PBP&E maximum weight allowed is limited to 2,000 pounds net weight. This limit was effective
      May 2014, and cannot be waived or increased except as specified below.”

      I think, and I may be wrong, that you just estimate your PBP&E before you leave and get reimbursed for that, but you have to declare it before you leave.
      It wouldn’t make any sense to have to separate everything out when you get weigh tickets. But talk to your travel office to make sure!

  18. I’m traveling from Ft Bliss, TX to Ft Lewis, WA. I have 1 dependent (spouse) and am paying $1300 for U-Haul and trailer. I am authorized 9k pounds, and I will probably have close to that. Also, how do I add in a $1350 pay advancement? That’s what I am a little confused about lol. I’m not sure how much I’ll make doing a full DITY/PPM

    1. Brandon,
      Plug your numbers into the calculator to see how much you’ll get. Search “advance of funds” in the JTR to learn more about how advances work. It may be about 60% of what you’d get in total.

  19. We just received our transportation reimbursement and I don’t think they calculated everything right. We moved from NC to GA-256 miles. We rented a uhaul for $301. Our HHG weight was 4980. Weight tickets total $20. Gas (I don’t know exactly how much cause, I just realized they didn’t give those back to my husband) but around $200 (probably more). They calculated $2800 for us to be reimbursed. After taxes we received $2242. Before he submitted it we thought we would get more. Does their calculations sound correct? TIA

    1. Jessica,
      It depends on a couple other variables (rank, dependents, etc.) but it sounds like it’s in the ballpark. The thing I noticed was that if it’s a relatively short move like yours, you usually get closer to the low end estimate because I’m guessing it’s easier and costs less for moving companies (which is what they base the reimbursement off of) than a multi-day haul would be.

  20. I’m getting ready to PCS from Benning to Korea going TDY enroute. I’ve opted to do an unaccompanied tour for 12 months vs the 24 month with dependants. My orders have been amended, authorizing me to move my family back home to the Ft. Leavenworth, KS area, prior to me going to school and then on to Korea.

    When I explain all of this to the finance folks here at Benning I just get the dear in the headlights look and don’t walk away with a confident answer (I’ve gone two separate times just to see if I get the same answer, which I don’t). I’m an E8 with a wife, two dependents 12 or older and one dependent who’s under 12 (four dependents total). The total mileage from Benning to home is approximately 900 miles. I understand that we’ll only get five days TIE since this is a CONUS to OCONUS PCS. I’m doing a PPM of my family’s HHGs and the Army will ship my own HHGs and pro weight to Korea for me.

    My questions are:
    – what allowances am I authorized for the relocation of my family?
    – what allowances am I authorized for my own move from Benning to school to Korea?

    Hope this makes sense… it’s a little confusing to me. Thank you.

    1. Brian,
      You should at least get MALT, per diem, and reimbursement for moving your HHG back to KS. You may get DLA too but I’m unsure about that. Your best bet is to search the JTR.

      Since I’ve never done an OCONUS move I can’t help you with your second question…sorry.

      Hopefully everything works out!

  21. hello question, I am moving from Pittsburgh, pa to Aberdeen proving ground in Maryland. I was thinking about letting army move me, because I figured wouldn’t make anything moving 234 miles . But looking at this I will making a nice title penny doing the move my self I am a SSG with 6 dependents is the formula right it says my estimate is around 6432.00 is this correct . I know they give you a portion upfront what is calculation of that?

    1. Maurice,
      Sounds about right depending on how much weight you are moving.
      You should be able to get a 60% advance.
      Search “advance of funds” in the JTR to learn more.

      1. I have a question is the total
        Amount at the bottom of the calculator after the 25% tax is deducted ? Thanks much site has helped a lot

    2. Short moves tipically pay more per mile because the same amount of packing and unpacking and loading is done if movers are hired. My first dity was only 260 miles.

  22. So do you what do you get up front? My profit was 6224. Do I get 80% of that up front and 20% on the back end or how does it work?

  23. So I had a question……This calculator states I’ll get around $1900 for per diem from Fort Benning, GA to Fort Huachuca, AZ which is 5 travel days. When I do my own calculations, I only total out to around $1500. Is there something I’m missing that this calculator is picking up??

    1. Drew,
      I actually just updated the calculator to reflect FY2018 per diem rates, but it shouldn’t change the numbers that much.
      Here’s the formula I use in the calculator:
      Per Diem = TravelDays X ((144 X #MilitaryMembers) + (108 X #DependentsOver12) + (72 X #DependentsUnder12))
      After running those numbers do you still get around 1900?

    1. Pierre,
      If you’re driving yourself there you’ll still get MALT, per diem, and possibly DLA. If you move any of your own stuff and get empty and full weight tickets, you will get reimbursed per lb for that stuff too.

  24. First of all, this is a great tool for everyone to utilize. Ok, so my question is in regards to a PPM move in which i am finding movers to move my household goods from Texas to California. (I know I could just have the Army move it, but decided that I would try to see if I can make a dollar out of this. How do I go about providing actual weight tickets for my move when the moving company is charging me by the cubic feet? I estimated my weight to be about 11000 lbs knowing that for E-7 I am authorized 13000 lbs. This estimate is also based on my last PPM move and the accumulation of “junk” we have acquired throughout the last 5 years. Thanks again.

    1. Thank you! So the first thing I would do is ask the moving company if they provide weight tickets. They may. If not, read pdf page 312 of the JTR, which says:

      E. When Shipment Weight Is Unobtainable. If the HHG or UB shipment weight is unobtainable by the methods in
      par. 5204-B, 5204-C, or 5204-D, the weight is 7 lbs. per cubic foot for all shipments.

      1. I couldn’t find a comment asking a question similar to my situation… my ets is coming up and I’m planning to do a dity move to my home of record, what I’m unsure of is how the paperwork works. I did a dity move a few years ago and you have to submit weight slips on both ends, but when you’ve just separated…how would weight slips on the other end be dealt with? I’ve heard a few people say they just give you a travel voucher up front for your allotted weight and travel distance but haven’t been able to find information confirming that and my chain of command doesn’t seem to know either. I’d like to know before it’s actually time to move so if you have an answer I would be incredibly greatful. Thanks!

        1. Christine,
          Just did this in July…You will mail back the travel voucher and weight tickets when you get home. They should tell you this at your final out with finance.

  25. Im looking to pcs from Hawaii to Norfolk VA and im looking to fly to California then drive the rest of the way. Will i still qualify for travel pay or will it come out of pocket?

    1. Steve,
      Sorry for the late reply. You should get travel pay for the CONUS portion of the trip but I’d ask your finance office to be sure.

  26. I’m positive this will not be my only question, but earlier in this thread someone said a single axle trailer can count towards hhg…. So if we are towing our second vehicle behind our moving truck on a single axle tow dolly, we can claim our vehicle weight as well with our hhg? I hope that makes sense.

    1. Unfortunately no, this is what the jtr says:
      C. Not Authorized. HHG do NOT include:
      1. Accompanied personal baggage when carried free on commercial transportation;
      2. Automobiles, trucks, vans and similar motor vehicles;
      However, you can get MALT for the car if a dependent drives it

  27. I am an E-7 that is PCS’ing 250 miles without my family. I spent 1,000 dollars on a rental, gas, and weight tickets. My weight I moved was 6,000 lbs. can you please tell me how much I will be getting back. The calculator said $400 profit which was in no wAy worth loading and unloading myself. Thanks!

    1. Sean,
      When I plugged in similar numbers I get an estimated profit of $2k…Maybe you plugged in 600 lbs instead of 6000?

  28. I just did a move from Quantico, Va to Spotsylvania, Virginia, about 40 miles. I rented a truck for 43 dollars and spent about 30 dollars on weigh tickets. I moved 1436 lbs, my reimbursement for this PPM was 218 dollars….how can this be right when I see verbiage in the publications that says the gov’t will reimburse 95% of what it would cost the gov’t to move me. Don’t know any moving company willing to move that much weight for 218 dollars. Can this be right?

  29. Probably a dumb question but about how long does it take for my advanced travel for my dity move (ppm) to hit my account?

    1. No dumb questions here! Although I am not sure, I’ve never taken an advance but I do know your allowances for the DITY move take a few weeks to hit your account.

  30. We drove a rental truck during our move. It flipped and then was hit by a semi. EVERYTHING was lost and my husband fractured his back. The army is giving us the run around but we were told that our items were insured for 10,000-40,000. Does anyone know where I can get help or who have had experience with an accident during a PPM?

    1. Oh no Brandi! Sorry to hear that! I hope your husband is doing better. I would think this would be treated the same was as if the gov’t moved you and they lost your stuff. In that case I would think you would go through the claims process and should eventually be reimbursed. I will try to see if anyone else on this site has been involved in a similar situation!

    2. On the forms that I have from my military move. Under the claims and liability section, it’s states: you are responsible for preventing a loss and or damage before, during and after the move. Claims will be submitted in accordance with current service regulations. Because self procured move participants are responsible for arranging the entire move, claims for loss and or damage will generally not be paid except in those cases where an act transpires that is beyond your control (vehicle accident, fire, theft, Act of God, Etc) and it is determined that you are free of negligence. I would interpret that as meaning you will need a police report that shows you were not negligent in the accident. If you were found to be not negligent then you are entitled to a maximum liability insurance of $40,000. You would submit your claim through your transportation office on the next installation you were going to. And then bring all documents to finance. Another option you can pursue is the insurance you got with the rental truck if you opted for it. Also you could try using your insurance company that you’re normally insured with such as USAA.

  31. I’m going to preface this by stating I’m kind of an idiot – so I have to ask this question in a dumbed down way. This is not exactly my circumstance but a simplified hypothetical scenario to get to the point: I’m single, I have ten days to travel. So I’m entitaled $142 a day per diem. Making it $1,420 for those 10 days. If I use all ten days but drive at night and sleep in my car during the day to recharge it because it’s a Tesla do I get any of the $1420? Or because I didn’t stay in a hotel and didn’t use any gas do I get nothing?

    Thanks. This is a great website. I hope you make a lot of money with it. You’re truly helping people out.

    1. Christopher, yes you should get all $1420 no matter where you stay. Sounds like you’re about to have one hell of an adventure!

  32. I am very confused by this and its freaking me out. It’s telling me that we are going to lose $580 on this move. We have very little stuff (>1500lbs), one car, and one small moving truck, and it will just be myself and my husband driving each separately. I don’t understand why they wouldn’t reimburse us for everything. Please help.

    Our total allowances come to $2744.83 and our total expenses are $3325.

  33. What does the weight ticket needs to include other than rank, name, weight, type of vehicle? And what makes a weight scale station certified?

    1. Erika,
      It’s important that the weight ticket has the vehicle weight, weigh master’s signature, license plate of your car, date, and scale name and location. You should be able to use most any scale at a truck stop. Most of the required info comes standard on a weight ticket. I usually just look for a CAT scale because they are everywhere and that’s what I’m familiar with. You just don’t want to go to some random scale (like I’ve seen on some bases) that doesn’t have an attendant or any standard form to print off.

  34. is there a time limit to use these benefits? When I first got to my unit I was denied leave to get my belongings.. So after a year of searching for a house I found one and bought it a week ago. I got all my things a few days ago and have the weight tickets and everything.

    1. Richard,
      What usually happens is you submit your weight tickets, travel voucher, and other paperwork to TMO and Finance after you PCS and then you’ll get paid. Sometimes there are special circumstances to allow you to get reimbursed later on…you’d have to ask your Finance or TMO office.

  35. Will this calculator work for a local move? I’ve never done a PPM. I have been living off base and recently got married. Now that I’m eligible for base housing, I’m moving. It will be about 15 miles for the move

    1. Creaturefeature,

      I don’t think you will get paid to do a move unless it is in conjunction with a PCS. I could be wrong, I’d talk to your finance office.

  36. Hello, I have a question pertaining to per diem. We are being allowed 3 days of travel for our partial dity from point a to point b, is the rate 142 total for mil member, then 75% of 142 for spouse then 50% per child? Or no matter how many people you have 142 is total per day . So Sorry if this is confusing. It’s just the calculation on here says roughly 900 for per diem for usfor the 3 days total but finance at our current base says it’s 142 total per day which will make that 426.

  37. If my active husband reports to his new assignment and I go 10 months later does he claim the dla without dependence? Then do when claim the rest when we arrive?

    1. Kmartell,
      Yes. He will get the no-dependent amount after he moves then you will receive the difference between the dependent and no-dependent DLA when you arrive:

      B. Dependent Authorized to Relocate ICW PCS but Delays Travel
      1. When a dependent is authorized to travel but does not move with the member, DLA at the without dependent
      rate may be paid, provided the member is not assigned Gov’t Qtrs at the new PDS.
      2. If the dependent later joins the member and is authorized dependent travel at Gov’t expense, the member
      may be paid the difference between DLA at the with-dependent rate and the without-dependent rate.

  38. I’m confused as to how this calculator works. Why is the “total allowances” lower than allowed DLA? I I thought it would be the sum of DLA+MALT+Per Diem. The calculated “total allowances” is less than half of those combined.

    1. I apologize. There was a bug in the code. I’ve fixed it and it should be working now. Thanks for letting me know!

  39. I recently completed a PPM and I did not get weigh tickets at the place of origin, only at the destination. My service’s requirements are the tickets at place of origin. Is there a way to rectify this? Will I still get reimbursed for the expenses I paid to move myself?

    1. Matt,

      You’ll probably have to work this one out with your TMO office. But here’s what the JTR says:

      6. Establishing HHG Weight
      a. General
      (1) The HHG net weight ordinarily is established with certified weight certificate(s) from a public
      weigh master or Gov’t scales.
      (2) The net weight or the member’s authorized weight allowance, whichever is less, is used to
      determine the constructed cost.
      b. Weight Certificates Are Unobtainable
      (1) Through the Secretarial Process, use of constructed weight may be authorized/approved if the
      HHG net weight cannot be established with certified weight certificates because:
      (a) A public scale or a Gov’t scale was not available; or
      (b) If HHG had been moved commercially, the carrier or contractor would have been paid for the
      move on a basis other than weight.
      (2) Use the constructed weights in par. 5204-E.
      (3) The eligible shipper may be requested to substantiate the reasonableness of the constructed weight
      (4) If the constructed weight is unreasonable, the Service may base reimbursement on a reasonable

    2. Matt what were your results? Only found out about the new requirement for the Navy re: 3 weight tickets instead of 2 total tickets AFTER I’m packed! Ughh Thanks!

      1. Jessica, I’m in a similar situation. We unpacked everything and only THEN found out about three weight ticket requirement. What did you end up doing?

  40. My numbers don’t add up properly. With all the numbers from DLA, MALT, PD and Low End estimate added to my calculator its adds up to $8,266.24. But the total allowances from the PPM calculator came up with $5868.90. Am I not understanding something properly?


  41. We will be pcsing here in a few months. We will have the Uhaul Truck with a tow dolly for my car. Then my daughter will be driving another vehicle and my husband will drive his motorcycle. How may vehicles will I actually get reimbursed for? I know the moving truck isn’t paid for, but what about the fuel for it, and what exactly do I get paid for with the other vehicles? TIA

    1. Mkel1998,

      I’m not sure if a motorcycle is considered a POV. If it’s not you should get reimbursed for driving another vehicle and towing another one (see below). But if it is considered a POV, you’d have to go through the secretarial process to get approved for all three. Do a search for that in the JTR for more info.

      B. POV Transported by Member
      1. An eligible member with dependents who are also relocating incident to the PCS, ordered on a PCS between
      CONUS PDSs, may be authorized transportation for one POV from the old CONUS PDS to the new CONUS
      PDS provided that the:
      a. Member and/or eligible dependent(s) possess more than one POV to be relocated to the new PDS,
      b. Member and dependents then travel at one time in one POV, and
      c. Gov’t’s transportation cost for the POV to be shipped does not exceed the remainder of the MALT Plus
      for driving two POVs to the new PDS (see example, par. 5328).
      2. The member is financially responsible for all excess costs/additional expenses associated with POV
      transportation (pars. 010102 and 010103). If the POV transportation cost exceeds the reimbursement limitation
      the member is financially responsible for the cost difference to transport the POV.
      3. MALT and cost reimbursement are separately authorized for driving the second vehicle.

      Reimbursement for driving a third (or subsequent) vehicle (when already driving a vehicle and transporting a
      1. Requires authorization/approval, if determined to be appropriate, to drive the third (or subsequent) vehicle,
      2. Must go through the Secretarial Process IAW par. 5154-B.

      A. Unauthorized POV Transportation. A member must not be authorized POV transportation at Gov’t expense if
      the member has:
      1. No dependents,
      2. No dependents eligible for transportation at Gov’t expense, or
      3. No dependents being relocated incident to the PCS.

    1. Gage,
      Possibly, provided you meet the following requirements:

      B. POV Transported by Member

      1. An eligible member with dependents who are also relocating incident to the PCS, ordered on a PCS between
      CONUS PDSs, may be authorized transportation for one POV from the old CONUS PDS to the new CONUS
      PDS provided that the:
      a. Member and/or eligible dependent(s) possess more than one POV to be relocated to the new PDS,
      b. Member and dependents then travel at one time in one POV, and
      c. Gov’t’s transportation cost for the POV to be shipped does not exceed the remainder of the MALT Plus
      for driving two POVs to the new PDS (see example, par. 5328).
      2. The member is financially responsible for all excess costs/additional expenses associated with POV
      transportation (pars. 010102 and 010103). If the POV transportation cost exceeds the reimbursement limitation
      the member is financially responsible for the cost difference to transport the POV.
      3. MALT and cost reimbursement are separately authorized for driving the second vehicle

      A. Unauthorized POV Transportation.

      A member must not be authorized POV transportation at Gov’t expense if the member has:
      1. No dependents,
      2. No dependents eligible for transportation at Gov’t expense, or
      3. No dependents being relocated incident to the PCS.

  42. Fabulous resource!

    What partions are applicable for a service member who is geo-batching a PCS wherein doing a partial-dity with POV only). Is it DLA + per diem + MALT?

    1. Thanks! In that case you should still get DLA, per diem, MALT, and HHG reimbursement for whatever you move in your car, even if your family is living somewhere else.

  43. We are moving to our first assignment in a month. Are we paid a certain amount/day for food & hotel or do they just pay back what we spent on hotel based on receipts? If we stay with friends along the way will we still be reimbursed for “hotel” stay? Thanks!

    1. Rachael,
      Yes each service member and dependent will get a certain amount of per diem for each travel day which covers food and lodging. You get this regardless if you actually use it, so if you stay with friends you can pocket the extra money!

  44. If my wife and I are both service members do we each get per diem? For example, we are traveling from JBLM to Fort Bragg. We are allowed 9 travel days. Can we each use 8 hotel stays then, equaling 16? We want to travel longer and want to know if we will at least be able to have the hotels covered. I understand the food will only be for the 9 days and gas will only cover the miles they say it takes to get to Bragg,

    1. Yes definitely! The per diem is the “standard flat rate per diem” which includes lodging, food, and incidentals. It’s currently $142 per military member per travel day.

  45. We received $3636.33 before our dity move. I’m so confused on the numbers we will get back. Maybe you can help. Husband is a E-9 3 dependents 15k pounds with 3 days allowance from N.C to LA (983) miles.

    1. If you received some of your allowance up front, then you will receive the total allowances this calculator gives you minus what you received up front. I’m not sure what percentage you received so it’s hard to say how much more you’ll get at the end of the move.

      1. My hubs said we received 50% of the dity move. Taking that the weight would be right at 15k. We did not receive any DLA/PER DIEM money BC we used about 800.00 on govt C.C. for lodging and food. Was told we’ll get the rest back after he turns in his receipts.

        1. The payment you receive up front is based off the “low end estimate” so the 50% is only part of the low end estimate not your full 15k pounds. Once you turn in your official weight tickets that show the weight before loaded and after they will then submit a final claim and pay you the rest. Sponsor for us is E7 with 4 dependents and our max pounds is 13k. Our low end estimate is $3,900.00 we received 70% of that up front. Our high end estimate is $9750.00 for 13k pounds. We will receive any difference after we turn in weigh tickets. Hope this helps.

  46. I just want to say THANK YOU so much for this website! I wish it would’ve been around for all of my career, however, it has certainly been useful for our family’s last and final retirement PCS. I will definitely recommend to all of my military friends. Keep up the good work 😉

  47. Hi,

    I filled the basic information ( grade, #s of dependents , miles traveling , #os of POVs, but w/o weight and expenses )
    And I got DLA , MALT and Per Diem amount

    Shouldn’t those amount add up in ” EST. Profit” box ?

    Thanks for response

      1. It was showing something else, amounts showed is EST profit didn’t add up DLA, MALT and per Diem.

        I am confused regarding Reimbursement for weight & expenses for PPM
        Is that separate pay or is it part of DLA,MALT and PER diem ?
        What I mean is : IF I am getting 2000$ DLA, 500 MALT , 1200 Per diem
        and I am going to be moving 1000lbs( with Expenses of renting Uhal, gas and toll )
        IS that Expense going to be covered from DLA,MALT and PER diem
        Or will I be reimbursed for rental expense and I will get paid for moving weight on top of DLA,MALT and PER diem ?

        1. You will get a separate payment for moving your household goods (HHG). You won’t get directly reimbursed for the Uhaul or gas but hopefully you get enough total allowances to pay for it.

          1. Is the following calculation correct :
            If one is doing PPM move:
            Say weight reimburse by TMO is 1$/lb
            moving : 1500 lbs
            Gov cost : 1500$
            so you are entitled 95% of that ,ie 1425 $
            Now your expense : Rent uhal (500) gas (500)
            Your profit from PPM move ALONE is 1000( expenses ) + 318.75 ( taking 25% of 425) = 1318.75$

            And on a separate side, One will get per diem , MALT and DLA ?

  48. Hello, I have a question. I separated from the military in March 2017. Drove my own car from Portsmouth, VA to Seattle, WA. I had about 700 lbs. of personal belongings in my car. I was paid $649.88. Does that sound correct to you?


    1. That sounds about right for the HHG. You should have received MALT (~$500) and per diem (~$1200) as well. Usually those are deposited into your account as a separate payment. Did you get those? If not I would ask TMO to give you a breakdown of what you got paid. You should have at least got $1900 from MALT, HHG, and per diem when all is said and done.

      1. I called HHG and they told me the $649 is the right amount. Who would I call to ask about per diem? And what is TMO?

        Thank you.

        1. TMO is travel management office. Yours might be called something different depending on what branch you were in. I would call your finance office as I believe per diem is handled through them. Check your bank account to see if you received another deposit though first.

  49. Dumb question. Does the estimated profit include DLA, PD and MALT or is it just what the GOV will pay for your DITY? I hope that make sense. Thanks

  50. Hey man, Great site! I have a quick question that I have not been able to find the answer to on the defense travel website. Do you know if you can claim TLE during your PTDY period if you have hotel receipts?

    1. Yes absolutely. You can get up to 10 days reimbursed as long as you have the receipt and a letter of non-availability if staying off-base.

  51. So we just met with the transportation office and they said truck rental isn’t covered (which is totally bs).. So for us we’re moving from Ft.McCoy, WI to Peterson AFB, CO (1035 miles) with 17,000 lbs and I’m still confused on the numbers. Will we be able to make a decent amount off this move or with how much we have should we allow movers to move us? I’m confused on all the numbers.

    1. Michealle, if you plug in the cost of your rental truck in the expenses as well as all the other info the estimated profit should be pretty close. What is your weight allowance?

          1. Make sure when you fill out the numbers on the calculator that you put in your cost of the truck your renting (unless your using your own truck/trailer). I would think you should make a good amount with that much weight.

    2. Michealle – the trans office is absolutely correct, the truck rental is not part of what you get paid for (or reimbursed for). What you do get paid for is the weight of your HHG inside the truck. The cost of the truck is on you to pay for which is well worth it in the end. One little known fact; in the JTR (joint travel regulation) you can tow trailers should you have a truck. To sweeten the pot, a single axel trailer is considered HHG and it’s weight is counted towards your HHG weight. If you have a dual axel trailer, this does not apply.

  52. This is a great site and is much more helpful than my local TMO. Thanks for putting this together and keeping it updated!

    1. Unfortunately no. Recreational Vehicles (to include a camper, camping trailer , 5th wheel camper or self- propelled recreational
      vehicle) are not considered as HHG so you can’t get reimbursed for moving them.

  53. So we’re getting ready to move in a few months and we’re not sure if we want to do a DITY this time (our last move we lost so much due to hot hands movers). So our new duty station is about 845 miles away and my husband is a 04. We do have 3 kids and a ton of stuff. with that being said we’re thinking of doing a ABF move.. has anybody ever done that? i was told we can claim that for a DITY but was hoping to hear if anybody here has. also do you really make more with DITY then partial DITY?

    1. Lauren,

      I don’t know anyone who has used ABF but I don’t see why you couldn’t use them. You would just have to see how much they will charge and decide if you will make enough money (using this calculator) to cover the costs. A partial DITY just means that you only move some of your stuff while the Air Force (or whatever branch) moves the rest. That being said, the more weight you move yourself, the more money you could potentially make.

    2. We used ABF for a full PPM once and claimed the cost successfully. Regardless of how your stuff gets from point A to B you’ll get paid the same amount. The more you spend on authorized expenses, the less you pay taxes on of that amount. But, the more you spend, the less you get to keep. The ABF trailer cost us about $4000 to go half way across country, plus another $500 or so in other materials. I was reimbursed from the Army about $5300 so I really only got to keep (and pay taxes on) about $800. If I had used a rented truck instead for $1500 and spent another $500 on gas my total expenses would have been $2500 and reimbursement would have been the same so I could have kept $2800. One thing about ABF, their trailers are for cargo so no soft ride suspension like you find in an actual moving trailer. We also had the trailer show up, still locked, with many of our more expensive items missing and obvious signs that someone had rifled through our things. The company provided the lock. Insurance didn’t come close to covering the loss and we lost way more in HHG value than we ever could have made by moving ourselves. If you’re going to spend most of your ppm money just to get your stuff moved, just have the pros do it.

  54. we already received about 4000 for malt/dla before we moved. is it still possible to get back 4k for our partial ppm with 1200 nontaxable expenses on our 5100lb.

    1. If you are asking if you could receive another $4k from moving 5100 lbs of stuff it’s definitely possible. I would estimate somewhere around there.

      1. Do you know what the difference of income between full and partial dity might be for an E7? We are trying to figure out if a full dity will make us much more $

        1. Sam,

          It all depends on how much stuff you can fit in your car. If you estimate $1/lb and you take 500 lbs of stuff in your car and the mover takes the rest, you would make around $500 for moving the HHG. Does that make sense?

  55. what should I figure as a rough estimate that I will get back?
    High / low figure or estimated profit figure?

    I dont know which one is important and why. …. what’s the difference between the h/l and estimated profit.

    trying to inter in all my info and see what I might get back.

    1. I would figure halfway between the high/low figures for a rough estimate. I would love to be able to provide an accurate estimate but there’s so many variables the DoD uses in calculating reimbursement rates and the market changes so frequently that it’s almost impossible.

  56. How long do I have before it’s too late to turn in the weigh ticket? Unfortunately, they didn’t sign it the first time and I wasn’t able to get back to that weigh station until 2 years later. Is it still possible to get paid?

    1. There are many variables to figure out exactly how much you’ll get for moving your own stuff. Things like time of year and how much the gov’t is willing to pay a commercial carrier are two big variables. The high and low estimates provide a general range of what you may receive. I wish I could get it more accurate but it changes so often it’s almost impossible.

    1. Well, DLA isn’t allowed for a separation PCS, but I believe MALT is.
      Maybe you could add a check box for whether it is a separation PCS or not?

    2. Thanks! Interesting question. You won’t receive DLA when separating…However, if you are separating under honorable conditions and not receiving separation pay you will receive travel allowances (which includes MALT I believe, and HHG) from the last duty station to the home of record (HOR) or place where you entered active duty (PLEAD), whichever is greater. Check out section 5004 in the Joint Travel Regulations (http://www.defensetravel.dod.mil/Docs/perdiem/JTR.pdf) to make sure I’m not misreading something!

  57. I think another good idea to post on here is how to properly use TLE when moving. I”m digging in the regulations and talking to finance but I’m pretty sure that you get both lodging and Meals for your locality that you are using the TLE (10 days on the front/back end). Any light you can shed on this would be great for everyone. Excellent site and thank you for being selfless and taking the time to assist others in the various services.

    1. Thank you…I will definitely write a blog post on TLE – I agree it would be beneficial. Glad you found the site helpful!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *